Ski resorts push their closing dates into late spring and, some, into summer when snowfall has been bountiful across the country. It wasn’t the deepest snowfall we’ve seen in some past seasons, but nevertheless, it could be a long spring season this time around. So make your plans now for those ideal days ahead when the snow is soft and the sun is high in the sky. Don’t be surprised if a few of the resorts renowned for late spring skiing even extend their own forecasts into June and maybe even to the Fourth of July (OK, think Mammoth).
Are you new to the joys of spring skiing and snowboarding? Get on the mountain early. The snow may be a bit hard in the morning, as cool overnight temps cool off yesterday’s melt, but that will soon change. Watch for snow cookies, snow snakes and few other snowy obstacles.
Slow down and enjoy. Slather on the sunscreen as those rays at higher altitude will give you raccoon-eyes in a jiffy. Be sure to dress in layers. Hey, it’s the mountains and those temperatures can change quicker than you can say spring skiing. And, finally, as we get deeper and deeper in the spring, order up a golf tee time for about one o’clock.
Here’s a look at some of the favorite ski resorts planning on a long season for 2022:
All closing dates listed here are projected or tentatively scheduled and subject to change according to ski resort conditions and weather. You’ll get an inkling of what’s going to happen in late spring and early summer by tracking what happens with spring snowstorms. Lots of snow piling up let’s resorts stockpile and spread later in the season.
- Arapahoe Basin projected closing: June TBD
- Mount Bachelor projected closing: June 1
- Mammoth Mountain projected closing May 31 (all lifts operating out of Main Lodge after April 18)
- Timberline projected closing: May 31
- Breckenridge projected closing May 30
- Whistler Blackcomb projected closing: May 23, but Horstmann glacier plans to be open for summer
- Killington projected closing: May 23
- Vail projected closing: May 1
- Palisades Tahoe: projected closing May 16
- Heavenly projected closing April 24