OnTheSnow uses cookies to personalize your website experience and collect statistical data. In addition, these cookies help us and our partners to better understand your use of the websites and provide tailored advertising to you. By clicking on the I accept button, you accept the use of cookies. Please refer to our Privacy Policy to find out more on how to manage your cookies preferences: Privacy Policy
Ok

Related Regions: Salt Lake City, Utah, United States, North America

Reviews for Snowbird

Read skier and snowboarder-submitted reviews on Snowbird that rank the ski resort and mountain town on a scale of one to five stars for attributes such as terrain, nightlife and family friendliness. See how Snowbird stacks up in the reviews, on and off the slopes, from skiing and family activities to the après scene. Read up on pros, cons and other comments in reviews left by fellow skiers and riders. Don't forget to submit your own Snowbird review! Scroll to the bottom of this page to let other travelers know about your skiing and resort experience. For more destination information, click Add to Compare to see a side-by-side comparison of Snowbird vs. other ski resorts (up to 10 total).

by: Matt - 26th January 2017

• 3Beginner
  • 5Intermediate
  • 5Expert
  • 4Overall Value
Love the Amazing Terrain & Snow
Won't Use the Kids' Ski School Again

Snowbird is an amazing mountain - compares with Jackson Hole, Telluride, and Crested Butte in terms of terrain, with on average better snow. Although powder days are busy, for those willing to work even a little, powder is easily found days later. I love the place. But I'll never go to their kids' ski school again. I called in advance to clarify our kids' levels, and was told that Level 5 was for skiers who can "ski any run on the mountain in any condition." (OK...) I explained that our 8-year old skied Mineral Basin and Lower Silver Fox (a single black run with moguls) last year, and had done Honeycomb Canyon comfortably at Solitude. They said to put him in Level 4+, where he would ski blue runs and focus on technique, poles, etc. This seemed perfect. I relayed all of this to the instructor at check-in. Imagine my surprise when I picked him up and learned he spent the AM session on the magic carpet and the PM session on green runs doing "detail work". He seemed crushed, and bored. We promptly when up Peruvian and skied Chip's, adding in the tree shots, doing sideslips where he needed too, and finishing on a lower face black. When we brought the issue up to management, we were first told that Level 4's really should not be mostly on greens let alone the carpet. Later we were told this was one of their best instructors and that "detail work" on the carpet is appropriate for Level 4 (remember Level 5 - "entire mountain, any condition..."). Sorry Snowbird, even if an 8 year old needs detail work (he does...we all do), what he sees is that he's riding the carpet with 4 year old kids. What's worse, now he doesn't want to go to any ski school anymore, and I can see why (he was bored) though I know he needs it. Great mountain, didn't like the ski school, and definitely did not like the response to our concern. I don't know if it was the instructor, bias against an East Coast skier, or what, but we won't be going there again. Especially for our 5 year old who had a similar experience, it's far better to take the free ticket than pay $200 to have your kids end up bored and hating ski school. We've never had this at Jackson, Park City, Solitude or any other Western resort.