Read skier and snowboarder-submitted reviews on Mt. Buller that rank the ski resort and mountain town on a scale of one to five stars for attributes such as terrain, nightlife and family friendliness. See how Mt. Buller stacks up in the reviews, on and off the slopes, from skiing and family activities to the après scene. Read up on pros, cons and other comments in reviews left by fellow skiers and riders. Don't forget to submit your own Mt. Buller review! Scroll to the bottom of this page to let other travelers know about your skiing and resort experience.
Reviews for Mt. Buller
A ski resort's overall star rating displayed here is not calculated based on a simple average but takes several factors, including the age of a review, into account.
OMG- I have so many suggestions for Mt Buller.
We went there as a family on 9-11th July 2019. Stayed off mountain as staying on mountain was extraordinarily expensive!
1. Waited 35 mins for a bus as they had to fit snow chains. Well- they could not have predicted that....by reviewing the weather report..... the bus driver was fitting chains without gloves- what an amateur event! I asked if they could fill the bus with waiting customers and the lady said she would 'ask the driver'. Of course nothing happened. about 300 people waiting in freezing rain. yes, someone will die up there due to lack of customer service
2. Went to SNOWPONY for a break from the horrendous weather. After paying $51 for some snacks was told by the arrogant barista "excuse me sir need to be more careful' as I was trying to get back to my table after going to the toilet. he was standing behind me with hot coffee etc. Absolutely no customer service or enthusiasm for his business or customers. We are just a pain in the ass for them apparently.
3. Why does the BUS have to reverse from the bus depot? Why did they not design the bus depot to be DRIVE IN DRIVE OUT style ?
4. The waiting "customers" have to wait in the freezing rain/ snow/ Sleet? How difficult would it be to build an undercover bus shelter? When you have finished skiing and are waiting 30-45 mins for a bus, it get really really cold. Especially Children. Is anyone listening from MT Buller?
5. Why does the bus not drop you directly to a ski lift. or the ski school? Whydo you have to walk 100 Metres across the village square and up some stairs to get to ticket office and Ski Lift? Who designed this disaster?
6. If you have skied in Europe/ Canada/ US you realise that the Chairlifts are very often HEATED and also have acrylic canopies, which shield you nicely from snow/ sleet/ rain/ wind. Its like being in your own little cocoon. Lovely. Mt Buller just installed a brand new Doppelmayr (Austrian) chairlift on Bourke St. Why did they not make it to be world class, including heating and canopy? I was sitting on ICE the whole way up Mercedes Benz. My ass was freezing! Is this commesurate with the money I spent there?
7. The general vibe up there is derision for customers. Its like we are just pain in the ass for most of the restaurants and customer service folks up there. The exception is the guys in the carparks which are friendly and the "towies" which try hard to be friendly and normal.
8. The ski school. My wife and I were asked to look after a small child every time we went up the chairlift. The ski instructors are only allowed to have two kids on the lift with them. It's ok for a while....but after the 10th time, you wonder why the hell you are looking after someone elses kid? I agreed to take one kid on the chairlift - who ended up leaning over the bar continuously whilst on the chairlift- imagine what would have happened if he fell over? Would it be my fault? Would his lawyer dad be sue-ing my ass? Probably.
9 I have also skied in NZ and Austria. I am no novice. There are sone very sub-par aspects to Mt Buller you all need to be aware of before going there. I'm not sure where the problem lies- but it seems with all the money pouring in they are not investing correctly for the future. At NO time during my experiences there did I feel like a valued, and appreciated customer- and thats a problem. I have spend a LOT of money there this week and over the last 40 years. When you spend money on an experience, you want it to make you feel special. I felt undervalued and even resented at Mt Buller. The attitude needs to change to more of a customer focussed agenda.
... Full Review
The lifts!!! OMG... in this day and age how can you install non-express lifts which are JUST SO INCREDIBLY SLOW?!? Putting the baby beginner lift (did not catch it once) and the carpark lift (did not catch it once - so I do not know if it was an express - you could not safely ski down) to one side, there is ONLY ONE express lift. It is like the last 50 years just passed Mt Buller by! Bit of a mindset in management? WAKE UP GUYS!!... Full Review
Went up on 19 Aug. Forced by mountain staff to put chains on a land cruiser at the gatehouse in an enormous mud pit despite only a little bit of snow on the road up near the village, while women driving any awd including sedans with road tyres told they did not need to bother with chains and allowed to drive straight up.... Full Review
Love it so much.. would love to come back here with the family.. nice staff and helpful..... Full Review
Why the hell is it $239 if you got a penalty? That costs more than my new skis.
YOU GUYS ARE SO STRICT.
... Full Review
Beware drivers if you intend to drive up to Mt Buller and staying overnight. Firstly, there is simply nowhere for you to unload your stuff, and you will be coerced to take the taxi from where you are parked in order to get to your accommodation as they will never allow overnight bags to be carried with you on their free shuttle buses. The taxi ride is a total rip-off. Secondly, the car park staffs are not the least bit helpful, and have the worst attitudes. They do not care and simply assign you to any parking areas, including making you park along the major road at your own risk, so as to make their jobs easy. They have a terrible load of inexperienced car park staff. I have been to several ski resorts locally and internationally, all of which provide decent parking areas and have very helpful and experienced parking staff. My friends and I will be avoiding this place by all means and we are much better off at another ski resort, and so does anyone else. Stay clear of Mt Buller! ... Full Review
I have been to many resorts both local and internationally. MB parking system is shocking. Expensive parking fees for cars and coercing longer stayers to use mountain taxi or car access permit which needs to be purchase to drop off luggage at your mountain accommodation.
My 10year old boy was not allowed onto the day bus as a wrapped gift he was carrying was considered by the bus driver as contraband luggage. Very disappointed parent!... Full Review
In mt buller the snow is pretty good.
But of course the BEST part of my experience is the extremely helpful and not to mention very patient staffs! They NEVER scold or get pissed at us although me and my friend were beginners. They ALWAYS help us whenever we're in trouble. And the tour groups that were there were the BEST of the best!
All in all it was the entirely WORST day of my life :)
(If you haven't figured it out yes i was not sarcastic or exaggerating AT ALL)... Full Review
buller is the mountain i spend most my time at and i have fun everytime i go. Its a great place for families and its a great place for place for 18+.
If its your first time at the snow then i would advise to go during the week. as there is only 2 green runs on the mountain they get so crowded its unbelievable on the weekends, ive literally been in a line for 20mins.
i would advise also that you have a look around for good deals on renting equipment, there is better cheaper places to rent stuff from then buller sports, george's ski hire is good.
as far as terrain goes there is plenty to have fun on if there is enough snow. there is two terrain parks, neither of them are particularly large, but again enough to have fun on. but again, the runs can get very crowded no matter where you go on the mountain.
there is lots of places to stay and i havnt stayed anywhere that im seriously unhappy with, im usually at the Melbourne Uni Lodge
there is alot of places to eat. i suggest 'the koroora' which has reasonable pub food basically or 'uncle pats' which has dam good pizza.
if you are of drinking age go to the koroora of a saturday night, you will never have a better night.
My favourite resort in Victoria... Full Review
For 1st timers.. take the Seymour-Yea road as it is the easiest. Don't rent any equipment at Mansfield as it'll be CHEAPER & more CONVENIENT renting at Buller itself. Check the Mt Buller website if car chains are req'd. (don't believe the shops at Mansfield. They'll always say u need the chains even if it's not req'd) Beware of Police speed cameras at Yea 50-60km/h and along the Mansfield-Buller Rd.
Kids, look out for the Gnome's house on the left as you drive up Mt Buller. There is ample place for cars to stop and take photos.
At the carpark , do NOT take any of the 4WD TAXIS up to the slope. They are EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE. They'll offer to drive u but won't tell u the cost until you & all your equipment are aboard. Then it'll be $15-20 per head !!! Just say no thanks and WALK to the bus stop for a FREE RIDE to the village. (That's also why u want to avoid renting at Mansfield & bringing heavy equipment along)
Don't believe the gimmicks of "discounted lift tickets" at any of the 6 BULLER SPORTS SKI HIRE. Get a Family (2adults + 2kids) Lift ticket for $260 and rent equipment at George's Ski Hire instead. It's CHEAPER and u'll save $90-120. When you've finished skiing and on your way home, don't throw your lift tickets away. Just give your lift tickets to sightseers & let them have a free ride.....
BYO food & drinks as all takeaway food/restaurants etc are VERY EXPENSIVE. A small pizza is $15 and a bowl of soup $10-12!!! Just BYO snacks and then u can have a bigger & better meal (for the same cost) at Mansfield-Yea-Seymour on your way home.
Beware of Police speed cameras on the way home especially from Mansfield-Buller Rd. They're there & waiting......
... Full Review
Rate this Resort
Share your experience at this resort to help other skiers.