OnTheSnow uses cookies to personalize your website experience and collect statistical data. In addition, these cookies help us and our partners to better understand your use of the websites and provide tailored advertising to you. By clicking on the I accept button, you accept the use of cookies. Please refer to our Privacy Policy to find out more on how to manage your cookies preferences: Privacy Policy
Ok

Related Regions: Sierra Nevada, Northern California, California, United States, North America, Lake Tahoe

Reviews for Squaw Valley - Alpine Meadows

Read skier and snowboarder-submitted reviews on Squaw Valley - Alpine Meadows that rank the ski resort and mountain town on a scale of one to five stars for attributes such as terrain, nightlife and family friendliness. See how Squaw Valley - Alpine Meadows stacks up in the reviews, on and off the slopes, from skiing and family activities to the après scene. Read up on pros, cons and other comments in reviews left by fellow skiers and riders. Don't forget to submit your own Squaw Valley - Alpine Meadows review! Scroll to the bottom of this page to let other travelers know about your skiing and resort experience. For more destination information, click Add to Compare to see a side-by-side comparison of Squaw Valley - Alpine Meadows vs. other ski resorts (up to 10 total).

by: Ivan Cazares - 5th March 2019

• 5Beginner
  • 5Intermediate
  • 5Expert
  • 2Overall Value
Intermediate terrain
Business model, lifts, some staff

This is the first year I ski Squaw. I've been a couple of sunny powder days and a weekend with miserable (but challenging and fun) conditions. I ski intermediate terrain... just getting into bowl skiing. First, the service: (1) Grooming is poor, although that made me a better skier, (2) Some of the lifts are so incredibly slow (Solitude, Red Dog)- come on Squaw use the outrageous ticket price for good, and (3) Some of the staff are inattentive, in one occasion a skier lost his ski and almost a ligament all because of the staff,(4) On the good side, the buffet at High Camp is among the best ski resort restaurants I've seen and the price affordable. The business model: Priciest ticket in Tahoe for no good reason, but okay, I accept it. There are plenty of similar examples in life. But Squaw is right now offering 4 days for $105 each (and reloadable at the same price for the remaining of the long Squaw season...). How is that for those who purchased the season pass making math with $159-$169/ day... Squaw should run some kind of lowest price guarantee. This really got on my nerves. The mountain: I loved the terrain, but for a skier of my skills (intermediate and moving into more advance) there is really no reason to go to Squaw over say Heavenly. Real powder days are equally good in both. Tons of intermediate terrain in Heavenly. Heavenly views are among the best ski views in the world. South Lake Tahoe offers all sorts of accommodations, food and in general, apres-ski. This is my advise to Squaw: get out of your comfort zone. Update. Upgrade. I didn't experience high crowds (not sure why, good timing I guess for the sunny days) but I read about it. Time to invest in alternatives. What about connecting Squaw and Alpine with a gondola? That would be something. I had a lot of fun, but it's hard not to notice that this place is running on its Olympics reputation.