Air travel to Mammoth Lakes and Mammoth Mountain, the third most-visited ski resort in the United States, has gotten a whole lot easier this ski and snowboard season.
United Airlines is now offering daily service to Bishop (BIH) airport from Los Angeles (LAX), San Francisco (SFO), and Denver (DEN).
The BIH flights replace daily United service to Mammoth Yosemite Airport (MMH), making winter air travel to California’s most popular mountain resort more accessible and opening the door for expanded flight routes and access to Mammoth Lakes in the near future.
Shuttle and rental car services from Bishop to Mammoth Lakes are available to visitors on each flight (including those that are delayed). Drive time from Bishop to Mammoth Lakes is about 45 minutes and with free and regular bus service throughout Mammoth Lakes, it’s easy to get around without a car.
In addition, there’s new Advance Air service into MMH. Advanced Air is now offering regional service to and from Burbank (BUR), Hawthorne (HHR), and Carlsbad (CLD) airports. Advanced Air flights also have the advantage of being able to land at BIH in the event of inclement weather in Mammoth Lakes.
Along with the additional new air service, there are several major improvements to experience in Mammoth Lakes and at Mammoth Mountain;
New at Mammoth Mountain
- Coca-Cola Lounge
- The Coca-Cola Lounge is an all-new space inside McCoy Station to recharge between runs, grab a snack and create your own favorite drink with a Coca-Cola freestyle machine. Offering various food options, drinks, and photo ops, it’s the perfect spot to kick your feet up.
- The bottom floor of McCoy Station, located mid-mountain, has been converted into a completely renovated custom lounge for skiers and riders.
- Coca-Cola freestyle machines and float stations will be available for guest use.
- Westin Monache Guest Room Renovations
- Refreshing all guest rooms with new carpet, paint, furniture, lighting, and artwork. Working towards a lobby, meeting room and Whitebark Restaurant renovation in the spring.
- Mammoth Lodging Collection expands Luxury Homes Portfolio – Mammoth Mountain’s luxury home offering will more than double in size this winter. Catering to families or groups who want their own private sanctuary close to all the action, each residence offers a unique place to call home during a Mammoth stay. Homes can accommodate 7 to 14 guests depending on the property. The new additions include:
- Two new homes at the Obsidian Residences
- Nine new homes at Hillside Highlands
- One new condo at Snowcreek
New Around Mammoth Lakes
- Community Recreation Center — The Town of Mammoth Lakes has begun constructing a new Community Recreation Center (CRC) at Mammoth Creek Park. A ribbon-cutting ceremony is planned in the spring/summer of 2022. The Community Recreation Center (CRC) will be a Sprung Performance Arena enclosing an Olympic size ice rink that will operate in the winter and in the summer, proposed durable sport tiles will cover the rink area creating a 20,000 sq. foot Mammoth RecZone. Combined with community-driven and professionally branded programming, the new year-round facility operated by the Parks and Recreation Department will be a game-changer for recreation in Mammoth Lakes. The CRC is the major recreation amenity at Mammoth Creek Park that includes three complementary components: the natural play area; the National Demonstration Site 7,700 sq. ft. inclusive playground and the new minor-mobility hub with parking for up to 118 vehicles.
- Mammoth Coffee Roasting Company — Mammoth Coffee Roasting Company brews delicious coffee and bakes amazing pastries and donuts at its new storefront in the heart of downtown Mammoth Lakes. They believe in helping humanity one roast at a time and love to put people and the planet first and to support charities and local organizations. Check them out at 436 Old Mammoth Rd.
When Out And About: Head for the Village At Mammoth, where you’ll find one of the largest tequila collections in the United States at Gomez Restaurant and Tequileria or enjoy a cocktail at Lakanuki Tiki Bar, considered to be the highest-altitude tiki bar in the United States.
Future Improvements at Mammoth Mountain
Mammoth Mountain Ski Area and the U.S. Forest Service have completed a land swap that sets the stage for transformational change. The transaction gives Mammoth Mountain private ownership of the Main Lodge Base Area, a 35.7-acre parcel of previously leased Forest Service land. The land swap makes possible large-scale improvements to Mammoth’s Main Lodge base area, including the Mammoth Mountain Inn and surrounding infrastructure.
Visit visitmammoth.com and mammothmountain.com for more information and to get started booking a Mammoth Lakes vacation.
More From Mammoth
Favorite hikes in Mammoth Lakes; for dogs, too
Which ski resorts have the most vertical? Steep and deep
How the mountains of California make natural snow