Ski and snowboard enthusiasts from around the world:

We have been proud to provide you with free access to snow reports, resort guides and more, and we are beyond grateful for your readership and contributions to our community over the years.

Unfortunately given the changing media landscape, Mountain News Corporation has experienced financial declines in recent years. With additional economic challenges from the COVID-19 pandemic now facing our business, it is not financially viable to continue operating.

Mountain News Corporation and our OnTheSnow and Skiinfo websites will be shutting down. We will explore the possibility of selling, partnering, or contributing assets to another media outlet if there is an opportunity to allow for a consistent or enhanced online experience. For inquiries about Mountain News Corporation, please email Feedback_OTS@mountainnews.com.

We want to thank our loyal employees for their tireless work over the years to bring great information to all of you. We take comfort knowing that our collective passion for the sport of skiing and snowboarding will certainly live on.

We’ll see you on the mountain.

– Mountain News Corporation

Related Regions: Colorado, United States, North America

Reviews for Aspen Snowmass

Read skier and snowboarder-submitted reviews on Aspen Snowmass that rank the ski resort and mountain town on a scale of one to five stars for attributes such as terrain, nightlife and family friendliness. See how Aspen Snowmass stacks up in the reviews, on and off the slopes, from skiing and family activities to the après scene. Read up on pros, cons and other comments in reviews left by fellow skiers and riders. Don't forget to submit your own Aspen Snowmass review! Scroll to the bottom of this page to let other travelers know about your skiing and resort experience. For more destination information, click Add to Compare to see a side-by-side comparison of Aspen Snowmass vs. other ski resorts (up to 10 total).

by: WIll - 1st December 2017

• 4Beginner
  • 5Intermediate
  • 5Expert
  • 4Overall Value
Most premium resort in the world, very short lift lines
Pricey

I will have to admit I am biased, I have spent many many years on these mountains. Aspen mountain itself has some fun terrain and fantastic views, the views onto the town are incredible and so is the elk mountain range which you get a fantastic view of all along, Aspen mountain itself is great but, then we come to the second flagship: Snowmass. Oh Snowmass, I love Snowmass more than I love myself. This mountain quite literally has everything, Three big areas make up the bulk of Snowmass, Elk Camp, Snowmass, and Campground. Elk Camp is something of a separate peak among the mountain, the widest and longest runs lie in Elk Camp, this area is awesome for carving wide fast turns thanks to Elk camps wide groomers like: Bear Bottom, and Bull run, A great place for an ex racer like myself to really push myself. Next up is the main area of Snowmass, peaked with Big Burn, this area is awesome, more of these awesome wide open groomers but, you can veer off into some magnificent bowls with great runs like KT gully, or if you decide to take the Cirque you get to the great hanging valley wall, main Snowmass is the biggest area and is just great, you get those wide open groomers and expert terrain, and at the bottom sits fanny hill, and the beginner area. Last and probably least is Campground, a land for more finesse orientated skiers, Campground is fun and is a good place to be probably just not my thing. That's snow mass, where every run is an adventure and the views are unbelievable, in line with aspen for sure. You can probably tell this one is my favorite but, that's where we get to Highlands, a close second. Highlands is a local's mountain for sure, a smaller mountain capped by what may be the best bowl of any ski mountian in Colorado, the Highlands Bowl. Highlands is built for experts, the steepest race areas where I spent the best of my youth, the amazing bowl with powder for days, and the mogul fields for building up your performance. I grew up on highlands in many ways and I love it, it's not as big as Snowmass but, with more welcoming trees and longer runs it feels big, huge even. Best part is, no lift lines, it is rare to have a lift line with more than 20 people at highlands. I wish I had more to say but, if you plan on visiting... Give it a day and if you like it, you'll be hooked. Buttermilk is the last mountian, and I actually really like Buttermilk. I grew up as a racer so I never really got all that Buttermilk offers but, if you are into the park this is the place to be. The X games are hosted in Butter milk which shows off what it's all about. The parks are what make Buttermilk, Buttermilk. What comes with parks is generally less steep slopes and this opens up another huge pro for Buttermilk, it's awesome for beginner skiers. Buttermilk isn't for me but, that's not to say it's not an awesome mountain, especially for the Park minded and the Beginner skier. So those are the four mountains, let's get into some logistics. Aspen/Snowmass is pricey, crazy pricey but, this all comes at a great benefit to the end user, The chalets are one of a kind awesome, with great but expensive food, the lifts are as awesome, very fast and comfy. You get what you pay for here, even if it is a lot of money. Lodging follows, if you have a friend in the area, seek them. As someone who lives about 30 minutes from these resorts, all my friends visit to ski, and it's for a reason, the hotels in Aspen and Snowmass are very very expensive, Aspen has some of if not the most expensive real estate in the US so you are in a way paying for that. TL;DR: Plan a trip right now, try highlands, and beware of expensive prices all around.

• anonymous user (30th March 2020)

This resort is great, I have been going here since I was 7. Love it! Great resturaunts, shops and trails!

• Kevin (21st January 2020)

Excellent ski town with 4 mountains to choose from. Free bus system that’s easy to use. Great for steep skiing (Highlands), family...

• Katie Gos (19th April 2019)

Snowmass has it all - all levels of terrain, the nostalgia of a longtime resort but with excellent new restaurants, new real...

• Bonnie Smith (16th April 2019)

Snowmass is the BEST. I’ve skied throughout the US and Mount-Tremblant, and there is nothing as great as skiing the Burn on...

• Kreisher Steve (14th March 2019)

Skied Snowmass, Aspen Highlands, and Aspen Mountains. Did not ski Buttermilk, as all advanced skiers, though heard good things about it for...

• Michael Gabrielli (7th March 2019)

The Mountain snow varies from top to bottom.If you take the Gondolan then high speed lift to the summit first thing in...

Gallery: Aspen Snowmass

Ski and snowboard enthusiasts from around the world:

We’ll see you on the mountain.

– Mountain News Corporation