Ski and snowboard enthusiasts from around the world:

We have been proud to provide you with free access to snow reports, resort guides and more, and we are beyond grateful for your readership and contributions to our community over the years.

Unfortunately given the changing media landscape, Mountain News Corporation has experienced financial declines in recent years. With additional economic challenges from the COVID-19 pandemic now facing our business, it is not financially viable to continue operating.

Mountain News Corporation and our OnTheSnow and Skiinfo websites will be shutting down. We will explore the possibility of selling, partnering, or contributing assets to another media outlet if there is an opportunity to allow for a consistent or enhanced online experience. For inquiries about Mountain News Corporation, please email Feedback_OTS@mountainnews.com.

We want to thank our loyal employees for their tireless work over the years to bring great information to all of you. We take comfort knowing that our collective passion for the sport of skiing and snowboarding will certainly live on.

We’ll see you on the mountain.

– Mountain News Corporation

Related Regions: Tennessee, United States, North America, SSAA

Reviews for Ober Gatlinburg Ski Resort

Read skier and snowboarder-submitted reviews on Ober Gatlinburg Ski Resort that rank the ski resort and mountain town on a scale of one to five stars for attributes such as terrain, nightlife and family friendliness. See how Ober Gatlinburg Ski Resort stacks up in the reviews, on and off the slopes, from skiing and family activities to the après scene. Read up on pros, cons and other comments in reviews left by fellow skiers and riders. Don't forget to submit your own Ober Gatlinburg Ski Resort review! Scroll to the bottom of this page to let other travelers know about your skiing and resort experience. For more destination information, click Add to Compare to see a side-by-side comparison of Ober Gatlinburg Ski Resort vs. other ski resorts (up to 10 total).

by: MCPG - 31st January 2009

There are plenty of things to do nearby rather than ski.
It's probably the most dangerous place I've ever skied.

I really like the town of Gatlinburg. I've been visiting Gatlinburg for my whole life, over 40 years. I proposed to my wife in Gatlinburg and we spend a couple of weekends there every year. My kids absolutely love it and we have favorite activities that we cannot fail to do whenever we are there, kind of like traditions. It's the first place I ever skied, too. That experience with a bunch of friends when I was 15 is still as fond a memory today as it was back then. I loved it...because I didn't know any better. I recognize that there are lots of people who love it for the same reasons I did when I was just getting started on skis. I've gotten to be a better skier over the years. I've skied all over the country and in Canada. After going back to Ober Gatlinburg I can say pretty confidently that it is the most dangerous place I've ever skied. Not just because of the terrain but because of the inexperienced people. I know every skier has to learn somewhere but Ober Gatlinburg is so narrow at the bottom there's just nowhere for anybody to get out of the way of some out-of-control and overconfident Floridian (of which there are many). Firstly, the runs all funnel down to the same spot which happens to be the beginner area. The upper runs are narrow and usually difficult due to snow conditions making them off-limits to all but the more experienced skiers. This relegates the beginners to a very few runs at the bottom of the hill. Picture it: you have all of these beginners on this small slope and then you have more experienced folks who are just trying to wind their way through and get back on the chair. Then you have all of these people who were beginners yesterday but now can manage to stay upright but can't turn or stop trying to get through this mess, too. Add snow conditions that are usually icy (they can't help it, it's the climate) and you've got a situation! The runs all stack vertically on top of each other. There are several runs which are named separately on the map but are actually just one "long" run. It always seems crowded to me for that reason. And not just crowded, but crowded with novices who don't know what to do because they eschewed the lesson and went straight to the lift. I haven't had to deal with ski rental personnel since 1986 so I can't speak as to what that experience is like at Ober Gatlinburg, but the ticketing folks I've met seemed nice enough. The lift attendants seemed capable the last time I was there, although not terribly friendly. I have always gotten there early enough in the day that I haven't had to ride the tram so I can't complain about that as others have. I understand the challenges the operators face with the climate being what it is, but that doesn't change the fact that it is the way it is: usually crowded with beginners on icy snow conditions. I'd love to be able to like skiing at Ober Gatlinburg. It's the closest place to where I live that offers skiing and I even have a place in Knoxville to stay for free. I just can't enjoy skiing there. I understand that it's the southernmost place to ski that has as many other activities to attract folks who want to experience snow but rarely get to do so. I get it. At the same time I'll never take my kids skiing there. We'll stay downtown and go to the Ripley's museum or something.

• Cassandra (1st March 2020)

Ober Gatlinburg is kind of a mixed bag. The rentals, lessons, and lift tickets are cheap compared to other resorts and mountains,...

• Jenna (23rd February 2020)

The biggest complaint that the park should really have more beginner areas. Even the ski school area is so small and so...

• Tom Degnan (31st January 2019)

You know I read these bad reviews about the skiing and considering the warm temps and lack of snow this year I...

• Joshua (2nd January 2019)

Was cursed out by employees after asking if they sometimes have snow tubing cancellations daily. Was told we couldn't buy attraction tickets...

• Joe (2nd May 2018)

If you enjoy sliding down 500 feet of ice, then this is the place for you!!! Rarely are the decent runs open,...

• Chesney Bell (10th February 2018)

My husband and I were excited to try out Ober's attractions. However once we paid to ride up everything outside except for...

Gallery: Ober Gatlinburg Ski Resort

Ski and snowboard enthusiasts from around the world:

We’ll see you on the mountain.

– Mountain News Corporation