OnTheSnow uses cookies to personalize your website experience and collect statistical data. In addition, these cookies help us and our partners to better understand your use of the websites and provide tailored advertising to you. By clicking on the I accept button, you accept the use of cookies. Please refer to our Privacy Policy to find out more on how to manage your cookies preferences: Privacy Policy
Ok

Related Regions: New Zealand, Manawatu-Wanganui, Oceania, Southern Hemisphere

Reviews for Whakapapa

Read skier and snowboarder-submitted reviews on Whakapapa that rank the ski resort and mountain town on a scale of one to five stars for attributes such as terrain, nightlife and family friendliness. See how Whakapapa stacks up in the reviews, on and off the slopes, from skiing and family activities to the après scene. Read up on pros, cons and other comments in reviews left by fellow skiers and riders. Don't forget to submit your own Whakapapa review! Scroll to the bottom of this page to let other travelers know about your skiing and resort experience. For more destination information, click Add to Compare to see a side-by-side comparison of Whakapapa vs. other ski resorts (up to 10 total).

by: anonymous_user - 11th July 2008

I started ski-ing at Whakapapa a couple of years ago. I am a NZer from the South Island (Queenstown) and have skied in Australia, Austria, Germany, Switzerland, Canada and Scotland. I agree, the night-life is pretty well non-existent at Whakapapa, but not for the entire NZ ski scene, as one reviewer suggested. I can only assume he or she has an unsociable personality, because Queenstown nightlife is a wonderful beast and has been for many decades. Anyway, back to the mountain. Some of the lifts are oldish, but others are new and more are planned - you can check this out on their website. They certainly carry a lot of skiers which is what matters, and the mountain has an excellent safety record because the staff are very professional. NZ snow is water-heavy and so powder on our fields is a rare thing, though we call light snow powder and ski it happily. It isn't 'patchy' unless it's a bad season, which affects many ski areas at lower altitudes, which is where ours are. Whakapapa is prone to icy snow however, so you should learn how to ski on it. Everyone has to at some stage. In the late spring you sometimes ski on corrugated iron in the morning and porridge in the afternoon. The views are spectacular and there are some great trails, some well worth hiking off-piste for, though be sure what you are doing, and if it gets misty, don't make guesses about where to go - just wait for it to clear. There are some dangerous drops. Last time I went I skied all over the mountain, connecting with my friends easily by texting them - aren't mobile phones just great in the mountains? This year I bought a season's pass because it is cheap (just under NZD500)and because the mountain offers a good variety of terrain.

• iceyblast01 (9th June 2009)

Lots of off piste skiing! Pretty cheap! Not to crowded once I was out away from the main lifts. Lifts which go...

• anonymous_user (11th July 2008)

• anonymous_user (8th November 2007)

Went to NZ last year and skied this mountain and most of the South Island...The facilities and terrain are poor,second rate and...

• anonymous_user (19th September 2007)

;'s>?SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSs yea it was good

• downunder (9th June 2007)

Whakapapa sits on the opposite side to Turoa on Mt Ruapehu, an active volcano in the centre of New Zealand's North Island....