by: Mike Barrett - 20th January 2010

Long Steep Lines!
Exspensive, Somewhat crowded

My wife and I just finished a 3 day stint in Jackson and I must say "wow"! We arrived to a refrozen nightmare of barely skiable crust only to have it start snowing that afternoon and continue for 2 days improving conditions immensely. The mountain has few if any peers in north america (maybe Whistler or Snowbird could measure up?). The overall pitch of the mountain is steeper than any I've seen and I've seen a lot of them. The tram line can be very long but the reward is worth it and there are several other options for uphill transport anyways. The last day of our trip the sun came out and so did all the people...good sized lift lines, on a Fri. Luckily a couple of friendly locals pointed us in the right direction and we bootpacked up a ridge (inbounds) to long lines of untracked powder. You have to pay to park anywhere near the resort so take advantage of either the START bus or the free shuttle that some hotels offer. If the weather is nice be sure to purchase your on mountain "beverages" in the liquor store under the Mangy Moose and enjoy them on the deck (much cheaper) or at least be sure to visit the Mangy Moose because it is one of the best ski bars in all of skidom. The on-mountain food was quite expensive but very tasty. The town of Jackson is a little over the top with the cowboy thing but it is still somewhat charming with tons of shops and restaurants. Be sure to get a burger at Billy's, very realistic prices and kind of cool in a weird way. Despite the crowds and the prices I can most definitley say that we will be returning to Jackson Hole often in our continuing ski career because you just can't top that mountain..."wow"!