by: av8npa - 14th February 2010

Challenging, great instruction
Intimidating maybe?

For those advanced/expert skiers looking for a good review, this one probably won't be too helpful. For those relatively new, hopefully this will be of some value. This was my first experience at Jackson Hole and it's pretty clear that I'll be back next year. I came to the mountain as a barely blue skier and left far more confident in my abilities on the slopes. The mountain lives up to its reputation of having challenging terrain and the instruction I received definitely helped me push my boundaries on it. The first few days of the trip were total bluebird without a recent heavy snowfall, but the groomers I stayed on were perfect. Later in the week the snow began to fall and conditions improved greatly for those of us lingering on the lower part of the mountain. Be sure to prepare yourself for greatly varying weather conditions - a morning of being dressed too warmly can change into an afternoon of cold and heavy snowfall. The mountain staff were helpful and polite. The instructors were enthusiastic and very much in tune to individual abilities. As for après ski/etc, you could spend a week at the village and do alright (be sure to hit the Mangy Moose), but I recommend heading 20 minutes into the town of Jackson for a bigger variety of dining and things to do (beer lovers would dig Snake River Brewery). Next year: blacks.