Grand Geneva Review

by: anonymous_user - Feb 10, 2008

Date Visited: Feb 10, 2008

SKIING: We only stayed for one day, one night, and our stay was still composed of one frustrating event after another. I booked a "Stay and Ski" package for my husband and I, which included one night's stay and two lift tickets. When we got up to the "mountain top" and stepped up to the equipment rental desk, there were 4 employees standing there talking. When we walked up, they all walked off without a word!!!!! We stood there waiting for a few minutes before another employee came by and informed us that we had to pay for rentals in the ski shop. Well, when we got there, the clerk at the register was unable to locate our package. She called her manager over, who made a call to the hotel front desk, who confirmed that we had only been booked for our stay in the hotel and not the ski package that I had asked for. Instead of correcting the problem, the manager ended the phone call and told us we were out of luck. He was very rude to us throughout the interaction. I insisted that I had booked the package, and he walked us back to an office and had us call the hotel again ourselves. The woman on the phone at first argued that we had not been booked for a package. Finally my husband said "can't you just upgrade our reservation to the ski and stay pacage." No problem. According to the website, the "mountain top" consists of 18 slopes, when in fact, there were about 7 or 8 on a couple small hills. We spent more time on the lifts than the slopes!

ROOM: The room was ok, definitely not as "upscale" as I had heard. The furniture looked as if it had been through a tornado....scratched and chipped. Lampshade had holes in it. One of the tiles in the shower was coroded and moldy.

The website had also advertised ice skating. However, ice skating was not in fact available.

GOOD THINGS: We had dinner at the Brassago restaurant, and the food was fantastic. I had a pasta with red sauce. It tasted incredibly fresh, as if the sauce had been made from scratch that day. I have some specific dietary needs, which the waitress was very considerate of. Some of the employees were actually friendly and helpful, such as the people who gave us our ski equipment. It was a quick drive up from Chicago.

All in all, with so many other options in Wisconsin, I will definitely choose a different resort next time.