Best of the convenient ski hills near Chicago & Milwaukee

by: TosaTrio - Jan 19, 2013

Pros: Well run, diverse skiing, fun for all

Cons: Only 1 high speed lift, upper 1/3 of hill is All green runs!

Date Visited: Jan 1, 2013

Great hill for entire family to enjoy!! It's managed well by courteous staff that seem to be interested in skiing/boarding as the lifestyle it is. Aside from fighting Mother Nature, they do a good job of making snow & grooming often.

From your arrival in the parking lot to the greeting at the ticket windows the staff is welcoming. There are extensive runs for the entire family. I am an advanced-intermediate that likes to push myself & improving technique & overall skills each time I hit the slopes!

Cascade has 20+ degree pitch on its blacks & although SHORT, these steeps offer enough pitch to challenge anyone skiing in the Midwest. Per my Ski Tracks App for my iPhone, I've clocked speed in excess of 45 MPH on numerous occasions here. I've also meandered on mile long greens with my wife, daughter & friends. There is plenty to see & ski here vs driving an additional 5 hours to hit the Upper Peninsula for an additional 200 feet of vert..

Of note, Cascade shuts down the entire left (southeast) side of the hill at night... (No lights)

Overall, I like this ski resort/hill best when looking to ski within a two hour drive (85 min from MKE) or less than 3 hour drive from Chicago.

I've included a clip of Cascades main Blue run for your review. It's enough of a hill that I was able to hit 46.7MPH per my Ski Tracks iPhone App. Video is on YouTube with a link below (if allowed to paste the link. If not search Cascade Mountain Ski Hill & spengail as video poster)

CHEERS & Keep On SKIING!!!!!!

Spencer

2012 Nordica FireArrow 80Ti with integrated XBI-CT Bindings
Tuned at Les Moise Ski Shop in Milwaukee
BEST DAMN SKI SHOP in the Midwest!!