by: Dave O - 20th December 2011

Decent Coverage on the Open Trails, Good Beginner Class for Little Guy
Only Two Trails Opened

Got out to Timberline for our annual weekend-before-Christmas trip. Wasn't sure they'd be able to open with the warm weather in the mid-Atlantic but they were open. Had the bunny slope and White Out open--and whatever other little side trails to get to these two. They had very good coverage on both of these trails with very little natural snow so far this year. But man, if they had sufficient snow making for the rest of the mountain, they could have opened even more. Lifts are still slow. My youngest son took the beginner lesson (it was his first time) and they were wonderful. I was impressed with how much he learned. Instructor got a little worried when his cheeks got rosy-red so she took him inside. Not too many instructors would do that. I should have mentioned that that is normal for him. My older kids had fun on White Out--which is actually one of the more challenging green runs that I've been on. On some older maps, it is shown as an intermediate. Of course, with that many beginners, and only two trails open, you get a lot of out-of-control kids. Fortunately, despite a couple of very close calls, no one in my party got hurt. Bottom line is it wasn't bad but it would have been nice if they could have had a few more trails opened. An investment in some more snow making equipment would be welcomed.