by: bwm30 - 21st January 2009

Nice village
no terrain, very expensive

I visited snowshoe in late December of 2008 with a friend. We had read that there were 50+ trails open and most of the lifts. The drive was pretty wild (not uncommon for most ski resorts) and you better get gas prior to reaching the mountain since there are almost no gas stations within 50 miles. First renting gear was fairly easy, if you want high-performance gear you have to ask around and you will find it in the main village. We got the slopes and skied the whole mountain looking for anything even slightly steep and we could not find it. We literally skied as if on traverses all day long, the best they had were some blue slopes and many of them were patched with dirt. About mid-day it started to rain and became the worst conditions possible. The lift tickets were $75 each and we ended up skiing for about 3 hours, normally I ski from lift open to close and I simply could not ski in the rain and slush. I will readily admit that I am spoiled and normally ski in the West so I think my expectations were too high and the conditions were terrible, I am sure my experience would have been better if it had been colder with snow etc. but that did not happen. There is no excuse for a place like this charging $75 for a lift ticket, I skied Alyeska, AK last year and paid about $30/ticket there and it was much much much better than snowshoe.