by: Fauster - 28th January 2013

Varied terrain, snowmaking, grooming
Some trails listed as open on the morning report were closed

Let me preface my review by stating that my daughter and I had only skied Roundtop and Liberty in south central PA before this trip. Snowshoe was our first visit to a larger mountain. We stayed in Expedition Station in the resort and thoroughly enjoyed the ski-out / ski-in convenience from the building's locker room. We skied on January 23rd & 24th during a cold snap that followed a period of warm temperatures. As a result, Snowshoe had most if not all of the guns running to replenish the base and get the rest of the trails opened. There were a few times where we were skiing in whiteout conditions but I can't complain about more snow being laid down on the slopes. It didn't take long to figure out the layout of the mountain and how to get from our warm-up run down one of the green slopes over to the blues and blacks. Widowmaker (black diamond) was a blast but we were a little disappointed that two of the other black diamond runs (Camp 99 & Grabhammer) were closed despite being listed as open on the morning's on-line slope report. In the afternoon, we made the trek over to the Western Territory by taking the Powder Monkey lift, removing our skis, and crossing Snowshoe Drive. The reward for our effort was a glorious quad-burning 1.5-mile trip down Cupp Run. If Shay's Revenge would have been open, we could have spent hours alternating between these two runs. Now for the biggest surprise of the day. After dinner, we hopped onto the shuttle bus for the short 10-minute trip to the lighted Silver Creek area. A steady snow was falling which provided us with some of the best skiing of the trip. Granted, the runs were shorter and there were no expert trails open, but it was a great way to end the day. The fresh natural powder left the slopes as smooth as silk and all but covered our tracks from one run to the next. It was still snowing on Thursday morning. Unfortunately, Widowmaker was closed but Camp 99 was open and provided an amazing powdery experience. We were also disappointed to see that Cup Run was listed as a delayed opening as we were looking forward to hitting it this morning with fresh grooming. Due to the effort involved to get to the Western Territory, we didn't get back over to find out when it opened before calling it a day and driving home. Bottom line: I'm looking forward to a return trip so that I can ski the slopes that were closed and revisit the blues and blacks that gave us a good workout. Snowshoe is a worthwhile destination!