Pleasantly Surprised

by: chrisj - Jan 18, 2011

Pros: Not crowded, Quality Snow, Good grooming, and more

Cons: Slow lifts, not many advanced skiiers / boarders

Date Visited: Jan 1, 2011

I went up to Snowshoe with 3 friends (we're all seniors in college) for MLK weekend. I was expecting a typical eastern mountain, low quality and diversity of trails, over crowded, and other negative qualities- I was wrong. The conditions were amazing, the lifts were fairly empty because there are so many, and the terrain parks were solid. I'm a fairly advanced skier and I was with 3 snowboarders (one of which was a beginner) and there was something great for all of us. I suggest getting there at 9, when the lifts open. Plenty of places for beginners / families, but for those who are advanced or just looking for the best trails, I suggest hitting the Western Territory as early as you can. These are the longest / steepest trails. Shae's revenge is gorgeous, and has a very steep grade as the end of the trail. Silver Creek is about 2 miles from the main mountain and you can catch a shuttle over there. It is known for night skiing, but if you go around lunch time it should be nice and empty :) On Silver creek, work your way to the right side of the mountain (if your looking at the trail map) Flying Eagle is fantastic, but a tad short. Also, there is plenty of opportunity for creating your own trails through the trees / powder if that's your thing :) The jumps on the terrain park are very well made and had little ice. All in all, one of the best experiences I've had in the East. Only complaint is the lifts are slow! And the main mountain closes at 4:15, wish is was open later!