Mission Ridge Review

by: anonymous_user - Feb 14, 2008

Date Visited: Feb 14, 2008

We spent the long New Years weekend in Wenatchee in 2006/2007. I hadn't skied Mission in nearly 30 years. I had fond memories of my last trip there even though I hurt my knee and got arrested (long story).

The best thing that happened to Mission is that Harbor Properties sold it to someone willing to invest some money. The addition of the high speed quad two years ago, along with expanded snow making, has made an area with great terrain even better. Now if the Forest Service would relent and allow slope side lodging. Wentachee is a better town than it used to be, but if one could avoid the 20-minute drive in the morning . . .

It's both a blessing and a shame that the locals don't seem to be interested in the area. Mission is never crowded, even on holidays. However, if you got just a few thousand people more skiing (not snowboarding) in the greater Wenatchee area, Mission could probably afford to be open seven days a week and make a bit of money. It probably still struggles to break even.

The only things I would like to see are a magic carpet to replace the beginner rope toe (new gloves anyone?), and the slow numbers 3 and 4 double chairs replaced with detachable quads that reached a bit further up the hill.

Mission has the best snow and cruising runs in the state, some fun chutes in the Bomber Bowl area, and a view from the top nearly as stunning as those at Crystal and Baker. Go in the Spring and you're almost guaranteed to have sun.