by: ski53 - 13th January 2007

I skied Crystal between Christmas and New Year's, one of the busiest times of the year for any ski resort, and it only snowed a little bit when I was there. At the Snorting Elk for Apres ski, my local friends were lamenting this fact over a pitcher of a rather strong local beer called "Bi-frost" or something like that. No snow, and during such a busy time can't be good, right? I almost agreed, but stopped to realize: I'd just skied a steep and narrow, albeit short, chute (with boot-deep wind-loaded pow); a wide bowl (a little deeper); trees (knee deep, and completely untouched since the storm 5 days prior); and a demanding mogul run. All in one 2500' vertical run. And I'd done runs very similar to this for all four days that I was there! Crystal Mountain, of which I'd heard little previously, has nudged a few very good ski resorts down a notch or two on my favorites list. Oh, there was hardly any terrain park at all, even with the 8 feet of base, but there are ample cliffs and natural booters to huck yourself off, and well-worn downed trees to rail-slide. Here's a picture of Mt. Rainier, with its unique lenticular clouds to the looker's left of the mountain. Anybody from lower intermediate ability and above can ski from where this photo was taken. Another reason Crystal rocks.