by: crj13 - 5th January 2010

great accommadations; reasonable cost
skiing in Virginia

I had some trouble making a reservation as the reservationists I spoke with seemed as though it was their first day. Two reservationists suggested that I could book the Winter Escape package for a two-night weekday stay in December. Both seemed to have very little idea about what lodging packages were available at the resort and neither told me that the lifts were closed during the weekdays in December (I only found this out when my fiancee and I arrived at the resort). When I got to the resort and checked in after driving three hours from NC, I was extremely disappointed to find out that the lifts were closed and that we were going to pay for a two night stay at a ski resort with no skiing. Fortunately, the front desk staff were extremely friendly and competent. All of the staff at the Wintergreen resort were very accommodating and assured me that things would be taken care of in the morning. My room was upgraded free of charge from a studio to a lodge. They put me in one of the larger rooms available in the Mountain Inn. I was very impressed by the accommodations. The room was spacious, well decorated, and nicely updated in all aspects from the two flat screen TVs and the plush carpeting. In addition, the Mountain Inn is a stone throw away from the slopes. The workout center is top-notch, dining is well done and affordable, and the staff are genuine and personal. The next morning, the desk manager at the Mountain Inn resolved my reservation issues without a problem. He respectfully apologized for the mix-up and made sure that I had complimentary lift-tickets for my next stay at the resort. I was extremely impressed by his professionalism and courtesy. He could have easily blamed the error on me and charged me for my two-night stay. I will frequent Wintergreen resort simply for the confidence I have in the service they provide to their patrons. Over the last month, I have been to three different ski resorts in the Eastern US. For what is available in the South Eastern area, the skiing available at Wintergreen is second only to maybe SnowShoe. However, in respect to the resort accommodations, Wintergreen offers a resort experience that would rival any in the Eastern US. Dollar for dollar, I would doubt you could find a better winter escape for the family. Wintergreen gets my four star recommendation and is a resort that I will return to year after year.