by: anonymous_user - 6th July 2007

Bryce has been nothing but hard packed ice the few times I have gone there. The second time, I got out on the snow - oops, I mean ice - and promptly left demanding my money back. On top of that, the road leading to Bryce from interstate 81 is not properly salted and cleared by the state during snow storms, despite being a road heavily trafficked by resort visitors. We received freezing rain and the road had absolutely NO salt. Despite travelling at 10 mph, the sloping grade of the roadway caused my vehicle to slide into the guardrail, causing over $2,000.00 in damage. Virginia State Police were not helpful and in fact ticketed us in the freezing sleet for an expired inspection sticker. Tow truck driver insulted me as a "damn yankee" for attempting to prevent further damage to the vehicle while he haphazardly attempted to pull the car out of the guardrail. The locals were friendly and helpful, but the whole experience scared us off for good. Avoid at all costs - try Liberty or Whitetail instead, where the roads are maintained in the winter and do not traverse windy hillsides. On another note, the Bryce Resort also has a confederate flag flying in their dining hall, and the menu actually had Freedom Fries on it rather than French Fries.