by: anonymous_user - 15th February 2007

I have to echo what Dave Esty said. I have skied at Sugarbush several times this year and other resorts as well. In my opinion they did the best job of snowmaking and grooming that I have seen this year. If you know anything about snow you should always leave snow sit for a day or two to get the moisture out before grooming. Otherwise it becomes bullet proof! Sugarbush made a ton of snow and were still blowing on Stein's and elsewhere last weekend, and I only experienced excellently grooming. Sugarbush was the first in Vermont to open this year and the first to be 100% open. Now it has 3 feet of new snow. I skied yesterday on the $14 Valentine special, and this Connecticut guy had the best skiing day of his life, matched only by one day a few years ago at Alta. The base facilities are tasteful and well done. The food in the Gate House is the best I have eaten at any area, including the West (maybe with the exception of Deer Valley). Castlerock Pub has excellent sandwhiches and friendly bartenders - especially Shawn and good apres ski (although crowded on Saturday afternoons - Yogi Berra once said "it's so crowded nobody goes there anymore). Timber's is an architectural gem, and I have had a nice lunch there and a great dinner. The Apres Ski scene needed some work, but it is now dialed in, and my girl friend and I had a lot of fun there last Saturday. Try the wings! Perhaps the thing I like best after the terrain is the friendly people and their can do attitudes. A "Sherpa" actually offered to carry my girlfriends skis to the Lodge. They really seem to love working there, and they enjoy helping guests. I don't have young kids, but I only hear great things about John Egan's ski school and his instructors. There are tons of families and kids all over the mountain who seem to be having a great time. In my humble opinion, Sugarbush has always had the best terrain in the East. Now under its new hands on management all of whom are skiiers and on the Mountain, it has a terrific new base area and a competent and friendly staff.