by: Jenny - 24th February 2009

well-run, variety, mild weather
much-needed parking overhaul, southern VT weather can be unsnowy

I never understood why people dismiss Stratton as McMountain - this was not my impression at all. It was very similar to Stowe, just smaller, a bit more crowded and obviously closer to major cities since it is further south. The trails are varied and usually well-groomed, (although last time we went, it was snowing all day and the trails became very messy). The ski patrols do not bother me at all, because I cannot stand out of control skiers. The environment is very nice, with gorgeous scenery and views. The resort runs on green energy, which I want to support. The weather in southern VT can be mild - which is nice, but they can lose their cold temps earlier than Northern VT. Saturdays and Sundays are crowded. Though we only waited 8 minutes on a Saturday for the gondola, which is not bad, you do have to share space on some trails. The area in Stratton has only a few cafes and restaurants, but we had no trouble finding a good meal with a little looking around. Their "village" is really just a few shops, but the salespeople are super friendly and we found some great deals. However, we don't go skiing for the village or the nightlife. PROS Nice trail variety, something for everyone, and masses spread out nicely - you don't feel the crowded days much once you are skiing. The weather is a bit milder than northern VT. CONS The parking is terrible. They have a tiny garage, plus a tiny lot for season ticket holders and everyone else has to go to overflow lots which require buses to get to and fro. It wouldn't kill them to build a better lot or at least to have much better bus service. The gondola has absurd mini seats that you have to lean on, as they are only six inches in depth.