STAY AWAY

by: chud777 - Mar 9, 2010

Pros: Lack of crowds mid-week

Cons: EVERYTHING ELSE

Recommended For: Empty Nesters

Date Visited: Mar 1, 2010

The ONLY good thing was the lack of crowds as it was a Monday visit.

Staff:
I have never met a more rude bunch of individuals in my life. First, they tell me I never made a reservation and I had to literally fight with 3 different people before they went to check the phone log to see that I really did call and really did reserve the room. Good thing cell phones retain date/time stamping on calls. Then, we got very lost in the dark woods so we called to get directions and the guy at the "Welcome Center" (I use that term loosely) was so abrupt with us that we barely could write down the info fast enough. Next, we FINALLY get there and the same guy treats US like idots because we could not find the lodging (sign was covered in snow) and told us that we "should have checked the Stratton Mtn website" for all the instructions!! Too bad the site only mentioned part of the info and our e-mail confirmation never had anything of value in it either.

Terrain:
SNOWBOARDERS - STAY AWAY. This mountain was built for those with poles and skis to get by all the flats in between runs. I am an experienced boarder and had to remove my board 5X to get through some of the passes they call "trails." All I wanted to do was ride the pipe, which is NOT EVEN CLOSE to the rest of the parks and features (it is all alone on the other, non-village side of the mountain). After asking 3 different lift ops how to find it, we get there and it is CLOSED. How did no one know this? How is it not posted in plain sight for all to see? Very, VERY sad.

Lifts:
Slow as a snail. The gondola was uncomfortable too because you felt like a pack of sardines in a phone booth with all your boards and skis to boot. The seats were either too skinny (gondola) or too old and uncomfortable (open lifts).

Lodging:
We stayed at Long Trail House, which surprizingly was half-decent. However our studio had a certain funk about it - not smoke, not B.O. but certainly a funk in the air. Having a fireplace was nice but it provided no heat. The LCD was also nice but who goes to a mtn to watch TV? The hot tub and pool would have been nice but alas, those were closed for no reason as well. Had potential but really not worth the $.

Food:
For a mountain that charges as much as they do for lift tix, lodging and all else, one may think that they would offer quality restaurants/bars. Not so. We went to get pizza at the italian place in the village and it was like cardboard with sliced tomato and a slab of cheese. Then we had a quick lunch at the Sunbowl base camp and more overpriced, poor quality food. Needless to say we chowed-down upon returning home because we felt like we had not eaten in days...

Shops:
All shopping was catered to skiers. We went looking for board shops and only found Burton and one other one with barely nothing to offer but more rude people and service. Again, skiers rejoice.

In summary, I am certain that we will not ever return to this mountain. From the rude people to the skier-only mentality, this is a place I would like to soon forget. If you are looking for a better mountain with better staff and board-friendly shops and trails, go to Loon.