by: gma - 16th September 2009

Terrain
New Owners' Attitude Toward Customers

Everything about this place whether pro or con, comes with a caveat. Except the price to ski here which is just plain absurd for the level of service they are willing to provide. I'm happy to support any area willing to support a great day for me as a skier on their hill. This is one of a very few places where I'm happier to buy somebody's extra day in the parking lot. Run the damn Canyon Chair during the week rather than make your customers take the runout of doom every time they'd like to ski something off the peak please. Anyhow, caveats; the terrain is fantastic and expansive. They claim 3000+ vertical feet and 7 peaks. Most of those peaks ski like mid-size day hills by themselves and, the most vertical you will get in one good run is about 1600' on Killington Peak itself. (See runout of doom) Then again, the tree skiing is almost top tier for Vermont, the steeps are pretty steep and, the bumps are pretty bumpy. It does get crowded but, once familiar with the place, you can sneak away on even the busiest weekend. You can party like it's 1999 on the access road but, you better have a designated driver. You get the idea, good skiing and good fun is certainly possible if you make it happen. ASC started a whole lot of lousy practices that put up some roadblocks to the whole good skiing and good fun thing. Then again, the beer man was demanding cash on delivery before they folded. Credit where it's due, POWDR replaced the Skye Peak Chair. With a whole lot more cash on hand than ASC, some of which they should probably put back into the hill and operations to make better ski days for us to justify their pass and ticket prices, they have done absolutely nothing else. Except terminate lifetime passes for the hill's founding investors that is. I'm not one but, I think it's still a petty move that just helps me hate the hill that I've always used for its skiing just like it's always used me for my wallet a little more. In case you wondered, I'll probably be there in November.