by: proLogic - 9th February 2010

Amazing lodges
Crowded, One-dimensional terrain, Poor snow/visibility

To be fair, this review is based off of two days at Snowbasin. Perhaps more days at the resort would change my perception. There are many problems with this resort in my eyes, but for me the biggest comes down to the lack of varied terrain. Virtually every run consists of steeps mixed with flatter areas and no bumps. If you like to cruise and make relaxing carving turns, or if you are like me and love ripping through bumps on slopes that aren't on an 80 degree pitch, you won't have much fun here. Some other problems: Much like Snowbird, the lifts dump you off in a central location. This means you have to fight the crowds on your way down since everyone is unloading at the same time. It also means that you always feel like you are starting on the same slopes on each run. On the days we went, parts of the mountain had a dense cloud cover on it making it impossible to see the ground, sky or other skiers. Perhaps this was just an anomaly, but I have generally not run into this problem at other Utah resorts. The quality of the snow was somewhat poor. I had skied several other resorts earlier in the week and the snow was amazing. At Snowbasin, the ungroomed snow was crusty and many of the groomed trails were icy. Since Snowbasin depends on day-trippers to pack the mountain, parking is tight and crowded. On the Saturday we visited Snowbasin, we had to park in lot 2, very far out from the base lodge. They do have shuttles running often, but not the most convenient way to get on the mountain. On the positive side, Snowbasin has some of the nicest lodges I have ever seen. They are luxurious and the craftsmanship is quite impressive.