deer valley not as advertised

by: drouse - Jan 1, 2009

Pros: beautiful scenery, great food, good snow

Cons: extremely overcrowded, long lines, oversold tickets.

Date Visited: Dec 1, 2008

My family and I recently returned from 5 days of skiing at Deer Valley over the holidays. When we first arrived we were excited to find 28 inches of new snow the day after Christmas which made for great skiing. What we were dissapointed to find was how overcrowded the slopes were by Monday since they advertised a limit of 5000 tickets per day. Every day was sold out according to the announcements posted on the slopes, however on Monday we discovered they had sold 8200 tickets for that day. The lines were ridiculous and you had to wait up to 30 minutes for a table at lunch. I even had to park way down the street from the resort as their parking lot was filled by 10:00 am. We were there 5 days and it was obvious they had oversold tickets that day and the skiing was just trying avoid hitting people coming down the slopes. The other days were reasonable but my question is why do you advertise a limit of tickets sold and then oversell by that much. It seems a little greedy to me! We go skiing every year at this time and the reason we chose Deer Valley was due to this advertising of a limit on the tickets. As far as I'm concerned we will not be returning here around Christmas as it was very difficult to enjoy skiing when you are dodging poor skiers all day long!