Le Massif

by: dackell - Feb 27, 2012

Pros: Powder, scenery, pitch

Cons: Lack of area lodging

Recommended For: Singles

Date Visited: Feb 1, 2012

Let me start by saying the day I was here they had 15" of fresh powder during the night so nothing was groomed (this is a good thing in my book!) and the locals (friends of mine with season passes) were calling it a beautiful day. It was nice to be out east and get some powder but I suppose if you got 15" at your local ski hill it could be pretty darn good also. Had a great day skiing Le massif, the terrain suits everything up to and including an expert. I consider myself a high advanced and there were no trails that I found too daunting here. It is a great place to ski in the east! That said, if you are looking for lighter more consistent powder (down near the bottom 1/3 it was very heavy and sticky) and if you are looking for real challenges then I would put western resorts ahead on my list. Le Massif has what they call a triple black diamond run. It is a great run with a beatiful pitch and view that rivals Lake Louise for beauty (different but still nice), however it might rate a 1-1 1/2 black diamond tops at Whistler (ratings are relative to their own resort). Would I go back again? Absolutely...if I'm coming east. Le Massif is nicer than Jay Peak, Killington, Whiteface(Iceface), Tremblant, Mont St-Anne, and the Eastern townships.