by: Craig - 20th February 2009

Bumps!, Proximity to DC
Little Variety

I was looking for a quick weekend day trip to get in before the great meltdown that was the 2nd week of February 2009. I drove up on Sunday with a friend expecting that the 60 degree weather would likely disintegrate all chances for a continued winter sport by the next weekend. When we showed up, there was already a lot that had been melted on Saturday. The snow was soft and slushy. But, hey, it beats ice. I wasn't really expecting much from this place, in fact I was expecting to be completely bored. The kind of skiing I like to do is steep stuff with terrain features, something to fall off of on occasion, and of course bumps bumps bumps. I knew that Whitetail would not be able to deliver these things but at only 1.5 hours from DC, it was an acceptable risk. I was, however, very pleasantly surprised that Exhibition had moguls! The entire hill was devoted to bumps! My friend and I cruised the bumps nearly every run once we realized that the alternative terrain was not very enticing. We only skied a half day, and I was ready to go at the end of 4 hours but all in all, I'd say it was a positive experience. If there are moguls available, I'll be happy to ski 'em. Now I think during prime season, if the mid-atlantic region is generously and uncharacteristically blessed by the snow gods, there are a few other places that I'd rather ski. But at Whitetail, they do great snowmaking whenever possible, and their one top to bottom bump run was pretty fun. So during the regular slumps in ski weather, a half-Sunday at Whitetail is much more fun than what I otherwise wouldn't be doing. As a side note: I skied the bumps pretty much all day, but the few times I headed over to the blues, the intermediates/novices all seemed to have smiles on their faces. So I would assume they enjoyed themselves at least for the half-day I was there. If you're a novice skier, Whitetail should be just fine for you, but Saturday crowds can get hefty. If you're an intermediate and want to get better, the bumps on Exhibition are great learners!