by: beachbumltj - 2nd February 2010

long runs, high speed lift, wide trails
long lines, poor snow

I went to Whitetail for the first time this weekend with my wife. As expected, the crowds were absurd. Even arriving before 9am, there was an unending line of cars driving into the resort once we got off the highway. The lift lines quickly backed up most of the way to the lodge. The experience got a little better though once we actually got on the lift. The lift for the blue trails got us to the top very quickly. The trails were fairly long (by east coast standards) and wide. The trails themselve were not overly crowded since their lift capacity is not where it needs to be. Getting back in the lift line was kind of a pain. My biggest knock on Whitetail is the conditions. And I know... "it's not the resort's fault." But really, it is. This is just not an ideal location for a ski resort. It's a southeast-facing slope in an area that doesn't particularly get a lot of snow. Even when they do get natural snow, it melts within a few days. They had gotten 2 inches of natural snow the night before I went and conditions were only OK, at best. If you live in the DC/Baltimore area and are willing to deal with crowds and sacrifice fresh snow for proximity, this is your place (it's waaaaaaay better than Liberty). If you want qaulity conditions, you have to make the 3 hour drive out to Wisp or a little further for the West Virginia resorts.