- Overall Rating 4
- Family Friendly 4
- All Mtn. Terrain 4
- Terrain Park 0
- Nightlife 0
Pros: Kid friendly, short lines, beginner oriented
Cons: Crowded lodge and rest area
Recommended For: Family Friendly
Date Visited: Jan 1, 2011
With our first kid crossing the 4 year mark, we were looking for a slope to introduce her to skiing; and after a couple of days of online search narrowed on the Shawnee mountain. We were dreading the long queues and crowded slopes over the MLK weekend, but were pleasantly surprised, for the most part, at the mountain's efficient operations and to an extent it's beginner friendly demeanor. Some tips/comments that would help you with the decision making/visit to the mountain
- GO to Shawnee ONLY if you are looking for a kid/beginner friendly operation. Otherwise you WILL be disappointed.
- Try the Beginner package (book online at liftopia) as it includes a lift pass, equipment rental, and a beginner/intermediate class
- Get there early - mountain opens at 8 AM, take a afternoon break to catch lunch and maybe a nap, and get back to the slopes around 5 PM. 8AM - 10AM and 5PM+ were the best times.
- Use the lockers at the Trepp lodge as they are electronic and allow multiple access during the day.
- If you need ski gear, shop at the ski shop at the mountain. Contrary to what we know, the shop had the best deals, not to mention a decent selection, on sunglasses, helmets, base layers, liners, gloves, etc..etc... made me kick myself over spending hours locally trying to find these.
Hope this helps and happy skiing...