by: Sergio - 5th January 2010

Close to Pittsburgh
Where do we start?

Well another season is here and the snow is piling up. So much for global warming! Well like the last 15 or so years we spent Christmas week at 7 Springs since we are home owners here and enjoy the time away from the city. The slopes were a ghost town. We have never been able to ski into a lift line and get right onto the chair during this week and we did it the entire week. It seems like the high prices and poor choice of changes are pushing people away. It was nice for us since we are pass holders and were able to make a large amount of runs without the wait. We also found that employee's were not happy with so many of the changes and many of them were critical of the Nutting Family. Food service has continued to decline. The Liftline Cafe has very few selections for lunch and has still not brought back breakfast. If you want breakfast you need to visit the Timbers or have the breakfast buffet in the main lodge. The food in the main lodge was always good to above average at times and now is just poor. Pricing here have also skyrocketed. I guess they feel ball park food is good enough. They are back to blowing copious amounts of snow for terrain parks which is just crazy when there are other area's of the resort that have very thin snow at best. How many parks does a resort of this size need? No new trails or slopes cut this past summer. They did some glade clearing but they cleared the bottom of the area and nothing on top. The area that was cleared was mainly flat and the area that should have been cleared was left go. When we arrived on Christmas night the parking lot at our condo was solid ice. The main drive had enough gravel to build a mountain but I guess they forgot that we had to park and then walk to our doors. It took 4-5 calls to have the sidewalks salted two days after the ice storm. The one lady I spoke with insisted that I just called her 30 minutes earlier and wouldn't listen that it was another person. One of our older neighbors fell and couldn't walk for two days. The guys that clean the walks blow the snow into the wood boxes or up agaisnt our windows. They will miss the walk in large area's and tear up the grass which becomes mud. Friends came up over Christmas and joined us to ski. Their son couldn't wait to ski since he only had leave from the Army for two weeks. The ticket office advised us that during the holidays that they don't offer any discounts. They came back and said they could give him a $7.00 discount of a $65.00 lift ticket. Very nice of the ticket person and hope ownership doesn't flip over this transaction. Our son is also in the service and I can't tell you how many places offer him a discount without question. Everyone on the mountain is wondering what is going on with this resort. If I was to visit from another area for vacation I would go out west or drive the extra miles and head to New England. We heard that the resort is for sale again and it would be a blessing to have new ownership.