by: skifiend - 23rd December 2008

Snowmaking, minimal crowds
Cost, closing North Face early

We visited 7 Springs on December 23rd. It was a great due day mainly due to the extensive snowmaking that they did the night before. On some of the runs it was very evident that they put a lot of time into making some good skiing. Crowds weren't that bad either, we typically waited 1-3 min to get on a lift. I'm not en expert on resort design, however I think that it would have been smarter to build the new express six pack where the Tahoe quad is now. They built the new express six pack on the far side of the North Face, which I'm sure will be great once they open that part of the terrain, but for now is serving nobody. Also, it would be nice if they let the North Face stay open later into the night. The way that springs is laid out, the most vertical they have (750') comes from the far side of the North Face (which wasn't open today). The closer side of North Face, which was open today, only has 650' of vertical. Once they close that, we were all forced onto the front side of the mountain, which at most is about 450' of vertical. Keeping the North Face open later into the night would at least make it seem like they were more than just a hill with some decent snowmaking. Last, some lift-ticket deals should be added to Springs. Resorts all over PA have tons of deals (like for college students etc.). Hidden Valley, a couple of miles away was offering lift tickets today for $15 as an early seasons special. Had I have known that Springs going to close the North Face so early, I would have gone to Hidden Valley. (Springs lift ticket was $41). Best runs of the day - North Face Slope and Goosebumps.