by: Dave O - 7th February 2011

Lack of Crowds (Superbowl Sunday), Good Freestyle Clinic
Expensive for what's available

Took my son and Godson to Roundtop, along with a friend and her son. The boys had free passes and their own equipment. I had my Advantage discount card. My friend didn't have rentals or discount. So, she paid about $100 for rentals and lift tickets just for one person. Kinda steep prices but it's a supply and demand economy and there's enough demand around to get those prices. My son signed up for a freestyle clinic to try out his new twin-tips. He worked hard and learned a few things and had fun. I may bring him back a few more times this month to do some more clinics. The skiing was surprisingly good. A nice granular surface over the packed powder (ice) made skiing fun--but not super-fast. I wish they would groom all of Minuteman, which is the widest intermediate trail at the place. They leave half of the top ungroomed. They already have 4 trails with moguls--not sure if they're too lazy to groom it or if people really want a little more moguls on the "beginner" intermediate slope. The rest of the blue and black trails were less crowded and in fine shape. Lift lines weren't very bad--that's why we always ski on Superbowl Sunday (who won, anyway?). The staff there is young but polite and helpful. My son's clinic instructor was very thorough discussing with me the things they had gone over. Much better than the beginner lesson they gave to my daughter last year. All in all, we had a great day with weekday-like crowds--but paid weekend prices :-(.