Decent Morning

by: SnomanPack355 - Feb 27, 2012

Pros: Small Crowds, good rental skis

Cons: Slushy afternoon, easy blue trail cut in half

Date Visited: Feb 1, 2012

I took my 6 and 7 year old children to Liberty for the day on a Saturday morning. The snow was in decent shape in the morning. We had fun on the beginner trails but I harbored the hope that I could get my 6 year old son on the easy blue trail (called Whitney's Way). I knew there was supposed to be the Mountain Dew Vertical Challenge race that day--supposed to be on Lower Blue Streak, according to the website. We ran the beginner trail in the morning (Dipsy Doodle, Nova, Easy Pete) along with the terrain park, which, although thin in some places still had a fair amount of features to play on. We took a break for lunch and then headed up to the top to try Whitney's Way. How disappointed were we when they had that trail basically fenced down the middle with the race course on the left side and very little trail left on skier's right. Well, my daughter and son snow-plowed down the whole way since there wasn't much room to turn. Very disappointing of Liberty to put the race course on that trail, which is the perfect beginner/intermediate trail to teach new people. The main reason that I came to Liberty was to take my son on this trail and they had decided to move the race course to this trail. By that time, the mountain was pretty slushy so we did a couple more runs in the terrain park and the green trails and headed home. On the good side, the staff was really nice to my kids helping my youngest make his way to each chairlift (he's really slow). Also, his rental skis looked to be in great shape and were freshly waxed.