by: mrcompgov - 11th March 2009

superb mountain, atmosphere and ski school
old cruddy lodge

My family of 3 kids 4 to 10 visited here for a weekend as our third ski trip of the season. My 4 yr old daughter had just taken an all day lesson at another mountain, but did not ski well at all - she just felt comfortable. The bunny hill with its slow and short double lift was a perfect place for my beginner wife to help teach my daughter to begin to ski. The people were nice, the mountain staff were friendly and helpful. The next day we purchased a private 1 hour lesson for my 4 year old and in 30 minutes she had mastered the bunny hill and was beginning to ski by herself on the the short green. The instruction was so good and she was so comfortable that a few weeks later we went to Beear Creek where she was able to ski herself on all of the greens there and a week after that could ski all the blues at Shawnee. Elk is the perfect place to get great instruction. As for me and the boys, the mountain was so big, and the boys still to inexperienced to ski anything but the long green from the top- and a few of the shorter blues. however, Elk has two intermediate length greens fed by an intermediate length lift that enabled my wife and snowboarding 10 year old to feel comfortable developing skills without having to risk the top of the mountain. My 7 year old skier and i had a blast skiing the long green and some short blues as we honed our skills, as this is only our second real season skiing. The great thing about Elk, besides its great trails and really good snow (it snowed 8 inches the day we arrived) is that the people are all serious skiers. Even the riders understand skiing etiquette and are respectful of the other skiers and riders. Even the beginners understand where to stop and how to merge. This is the best mountain we have skied in our two years (vs Camelback, Big Boulder, Shawnee, Bear Creek)