Camelback Mountain Resort Review

by: anonymous_user - Nov 24, 2007

Date Visited: Nov 24, 2007

Our family has been going to Camelback for at least 20 yrs now. I have grown disappointed in recent years, because it definitely seems that their focus is solely on their summer activities - the skiing has become almost an afterthought. I just can't get into a ski lodge with ugly fake palm trees in it LOL

As far as the actual skiing, their quick lifts make weekends and evenings more bearable than other local ski areas. Still, the lines can be long and those with children have to ski during these times. We have felt unnecessarily bogged down when renting and it would be nice if they switched to the computerized rental programs that some of the VT resorts are now using. There isn't enough difficult terrain at Camelback to satisfy my expert skier of a husband, but the kids are happy. The instructors we've had in lessons over the years have been very nice and taught the kids well. The rangers on the other hand can be extremely rude - apparently these are cop wannabes or something - they definitely detract from the skiing experience for us.

The food - well let's just say that it is awful in my opinion. More and more expensive each year but no improvement in quality. Very few healthier choices as well. We bring our own now. In the last five nights we visited last year, the main cafeteria was a cesspool. Litter and half-eaten food everywhere and no staff members cleaning up, just one guy in the corner half-heartedly sweeping the floor. The bathrooms were horrific as well.

I have mentioned my concerns to staffers at Camelback and agree that they do not seem to care if their skiers are happy, which makes me sad. I have run into very nice staff in security and in food service - just a big shame there aren't more of those people. We still ski Camelback with the kids but look elsewhere whenever we can. We also no longer buy season passes due to the extremely high rates - just not a good value anymore.