by: anonymous_user - 27th February 2007

I had some reservations about coming here, but the 1000+ ft vertical and proximity to home sealed the deal. The trade off is, hour drive for so-so conditions and an army of skiers being thrown on the hill. . We did some night skiing after a sunny warm day and it was an ice cube. I saw a girl wipe out and slide all the way down a black run. However, the runs were not too crowded so it was fairly enjoyable. The next morning, carnage ensued. The crowds came in, and I have never seen more blood on ice since watching a minor league hockey game. A couple of people face planted into the slopes and were severely injured, along with assorted leg injuries. The slopes were ski'd out by mid morning, and the conditions were downright appalling by late morning. Ski patrol was everywhere, which was highly commendable. The resort is well staffed with medical and support teams. What wasnt around was snow making. Even in northern VT resorts who get regular snowfalls they are constantly snowmaking as well. In the two days we were at Blue, no snowmaking. This place MUST have snowmaking or conditions are horrible, bottom line. The food was standard school cafeteria, although we did manage to find a couple of healthier options with the chicken sandwich and soup. Reasonably priced considering we were a captive audience. They do need to rip all of those carpets out of the lodges though, they have some ripe odors. Leave the wood flooring. We go to VT as often as we can but wanted to find someplace close that was affordable and worth skiing. I dont think Blue Mountain is worth skiing. I had many nice folks who go to Blue regularly explain to me that the conditions are normally better, and that this particular weekend was an exception. We won't be coming back to test that assertion. If you want the best ski experience on the east coast, you have to go to Stowe VT. It costs, and it's far, but you get the best terrain, best snow, best food, and best apres ski around. Bolton Valley is a good one too, and a bit cheaper. Any of the northern VT resorts are worth the trip.