Big Boulder Review

by: serialc0d3 - Nov 1, 2006

Date Visited: Nov 1, 2006

I have been here once and had a nightmare with the service desk about buying the lift tickets ahead of time on the internet. Anyways I found that it was cheaper to wait and purchase your lift ticket when you arrive.
Although even though the customer service wasn't all that great, the quality of the snow was. It was very close to true powder conditions before late night in which it got a little icy then. The runs are short and offer a little bit of "off the main run" trails.
What really stood out at this resort was the kickers and the terrain park.
The kickers were all different sizes and required different speeds to clear the base.
There were all types of rails. Kinked, box, stairs, and a car in the middle of the run.
They also had a run called jib alley which really reminded me of a snowskate park with
small base type rails. I didn't actually spend anytime in the lodge although from the outside it looked nice. I did go into the ski shop and it was decent. Nothing to write home about and the prices were average. All in all if you are looking for a freestyle terrain parks, def check this place out although if you are looking for a freeride resort, look across the street at big boulders sister resort, Jack Frost. I would recommend spending a day here and a day at Jack Frost.. They are literally right across the street from one another.
As for lodging options, we stayed in a hotel about 20 minutes from the resorts although if you are looking for a 2 day stay, I would recommend looking at some of the on-mountain condos. Some are the same price as what we payed for the hotel.