Calabogie: Scary for Nervous Beginner

by: Nervous Beginner - Jan 25, 2009

Pros: We have found this to be an affordable day destination

Cons: There is a scary steep narrow hairpin turn on a green trail

Recommended For: Singles, Family Friendly

Date Visited: Jan 1, 2009

After speaking with another family of beginner skiers, I am writing this review to share my confidence shattering experience. This other family shares my fear and memories of the steep narrow hairpin turn on a green trail at Calabogie. Today I have been searching the web for honest feedback from a beginner’s perspective and have not found any reviews to warn beginners of this particularly difficult turn at Calabogie, which lead me to believe that other reviews were not written from the perspective of a nervous beginner, and thus not very helpful in my pursuit of a beginner-friendly slope. Our family has been skiing for about 6 years. We are not regular skiers, only skiing 0 - 3 times a season. We have all taken a few lessons on a couple of different slopes. The kids and my husband enjoy skiing and snowboarding and have greatly improved both their skill level and confidence - leaving me on the green trails while they enjoy the challenge of blue and black diamond slopes. I ski to participate with the family. We have been to Calagoie on 3 occasions. After the initial 2 visits I desperately wanted to avoid the steep, narrow hairpin turn on the green hill that I recalled, with both fear and trepidation, from previous visits. If you do not negotiate this turn you will fall off a steep embankment into a heavily treed area. Over the course of the day I approached 3 different hill staff seeking an easy, gradual slope for a beginner and mentioned my attempt to avoid the hairpin turn that I had experienced. On each occasion the staff redirected me to the green trails assuring me they were all very gradual slopes. After my third run for the day, again facing that very same hairpin turn, I removed my equipment. This experience has totally shattered my confidence. I will never go back to ski Calabogie. My family finally convinced me the following year to try skiing again at a different resort, I did, but the day was marred by my fear of trying a trail that might not meet my expectations of green. In this review, I did rate the hill as "fair" under the category of "family friendly" because it is affordable, they offer a room for brown bag lunchers, there are a variety of trail levels and the rest of my family has enjoyed skiing there.