by: loricipheran - 10th December 2010

Friendly atmosphere
Very poor terrain

Being an Ohio skier means that you need to be easily amused. No, our slopes are neither steep nor long, and the snow can get pretty darned icy. Still, I usually can keep myself amused for the better part of the day at most Ohio ski areas. Not so with Alpine Valley. My first impression of Alpine Valley was that it was a friendly, family-oriented place. Unfortaunately, that is pretty much where the good points come to an end. I would think that there are better places to site a ski area east of Cleveland. The hills just aren't any good. They start moderately steep, but have very long, flat runouts - if you try to do any turns, say goodbye to all your momentum. The "Black diamond" slopes are laughable even by Ohio standards. And the lift arrangement is very odd. Immediately outside the lodge is a small, steep hill serviced by surface lifts. You have to use these first, or take a walk, to get to the main lifts. And the main lifts are among the worst I have ever seen. The seats have loose or missing boards, and many are very uncomfortable. If I lived in the immediate area, I would probably enjoy Alpine Valley, if only for being nearby. But it was certainly not worth the hour and a half drive to get there. Too bad. As I said, it seems like a friendly place, and one that I wanted to like.