by: anonymous_user - 19th February 2007

• Nightlife

This was our first experience with NC skiing. I had read the reviews and thought I knew what I was getting the family into. I have to say that I've skied in a lot of places from Alberta to Alabama (yes, Alabama.) I've never seen anything like this joint. The lift operators did not speak english and had apparently never seen a lift before today. (I guess there isn't a lot of drywall to hang this time of year.) They made no effort to buffer the lift just before it hits the back of your legs the way they do just about everywhere else I've ever skied. They also had no idea of how to direct skiers as to whose turn it was to load. (In the South this is a big deal since you have so many first-timers.) Getting on the lift was a free-for-all. I've skied in New England on a holiday week-end and even dealing with those pushy Manhattanites wasn't as nerve-wracking as this. Also, I've never been anywhere that had an armed, uniformed security guard in the lodge. He wasn't doing anything other than cleaning his fingernails with a five-inch knife, but he was there. Tomorrow we're going someplace else. I heard my wife say out loud more than a few times today, "I don't care if we don't EVER come back here!" Don't get the wrong idea: I've skied much worse terrain in much worse conditions. It's actually a pretty nice place that reminds me of a much smaller version of Brighton, Utah. It was the fact that nobody knew what to do and nobody knew any different that got me.