by: gma - 21st February 2011

This Place Is A Treasure!
None Here But, It Won't Appeal to All

I haven't had a hard time finding something good to say about any Catskills hill I've made turns on. When I stack rank them with Plattekill though, here's what I'm left with. Windham is for rich people who can't ski. A day at Hunter is like a day behind the camera with the cast of Jersey Shore, and, Belleayre is just plain flat and boring. This place is none of those things. Instead, its a double as the primary chair, a triple serving slightly less vertical to match and an 1100 vertical foot hill offering up consistent pitch and really fun turns. It isn't big but, on a comparable scale, I'd trade the terrain for anything in the Berkshires. Fun little chutes in the woods, a few wider, steeper fall-line runs that make the hill itself ski as big as it possibly can. Terrain that is about as fun as it gets on a hill this size and the good, local vibe of the afternoon school bus on a Friday and families having fun in the snow. This place is a ski hill. Period. The lodge, sorry, no base village, needs trim and paint and the backed-up stove made it a bit tough to see inside while pulling on my boots. I needed to be reasonably sure I was going to get out of the parking lot before I turned off the ignition. To be fair, it was day 2 of a 50 degree meltdown with plenty to melt. The bartender has a fair hand, the people on the deck are good company and you will be as entertained as you have ever been by the turns you will make on a hill this size. Check conditions (not a ton of snowmaking) and operating schedule and add this to a trip or, make it a day trip if the Catskills hits the jackpot on a storm.