A great family destination

by: loricipheran - Dec 20, 2010

Pros: Short lines, friendly atmosphere

Cons: Monotonous hills

Date Visited: Feb 1, 2010

Peek'n Peak is a nice place. But being called nice is both good and bad. It means that the place doesn't have any really bad attributes to speak of, but it also doesn't particularly stand out as exceptional in any way.

It is obvious that Peek'n Peak is geared to families, from the charming "Robin Hood" names for the slopes, to the large but not-too-challenging terrain parks, and the off-slope amenities. And if you don't like sharing the slopes with lots of slow-moving youngsters, you may not like it here. I tolerate it with a shrug - after all, if I had kids, this is the place I would be bringing them, too.

Snow conditions are always good, courtesy of Lake Erie and good grooming. The hills are not very hard, and I often forget where I am at in the resort, simply because the hills, irregardless of their difficulty rating, seem to blur into each other. There is lots of easy terrain for beginners, but more advanced skiers will find the hills lacking. The place has never felt over-crowded when I have visited it.

Off-slope, Peek'n Peak has the amenities of a larger desitination resort, but not the same hectic atmosphere. I detest the amusement park atmosphere that big resorts have. For this, I much appreciate Peek'n Peak's cozier feel.

Peek'n Peak is a worthwhile destination, especially for families. But is it a truly great experience? No, but it will always deliver the goods when it comes to having a good day on the slopes.