by: BimsWhim - 15th March 2009

Nice steeps, good grooming, varied terrain
crowds on weekends

You can tell you’re at Hunter, when at 08:15 am a car pulls up next to you in the parking lot and two mid twenty something males emerge as they knock off the remains a few cold ones. I immediately took a note to give them wide berth if I spotted them anywhere on the slope. I anticipated a frozen wash board surface based on the weeks spring like weather conditions that were quickly followed by a freeze, but was pleasantly surprised to encounter mostly groomed out surfaces with more than enough loose frozen granular on top to grab a nice edge. As a rule, I do not ski Hunter on weekends due to the horrendous crowds, however, I still had my yet to be used (work and weather kept getting in the way of my mid week plans) Big Lift Card, and concluded it was deep enough into March to roll the dice and take a chance. I am happy to say it paid off. Crowds were not a problem and conditions were quite nice. The singles line at the high speed quad was 1 – 4 minutes at the worst and the other chairs had no lines. The sun was out and life was good. Things started to soften up on the front side around 11am. Softness did not arrive on the back side though until about 1:30 pm. I learned this the hard way when I ventured down Clair’s about 11 am or so and met the icy surface with my body about half way down. All things taken into account, it was a great day of skiing. And even better, I never did encounter my parking lot buddies again.