More Gore!

by: Tarasmc - Feb 2, 2011

Pros: Not overly commercialized

Cons: The "new" gondola doesn't reach the summit, whereas the old one did.

Date Visited: Jan 1, 2011

I am saddened by all the negative posts about Gore. I've been skiing there since I was in elementary school. Although it does have its fair share of ice, it's not a resort and therefore does not charge resort prices nor have resort money pumping onto the slopes. Might I remind everyone that skiing in the North East means skiing on packed (man-made) powder and ice way more than natural powder.

Gore is using wind energy for some of their snow making and other electrical needs. I applaud them for that. One of the many things that I love about Gore is that I can ski the top and not have to worry about the crowds at the bottom. Then again, it's nice to be able to stay warmer at the bottom on those bitter cold days. The lodges have so much seating room and places to stow your belongings that I never feel the true brunt of the crowd. The staff has been very friendly over the years and the bar frequently has live bands on the holidays and weekends. The Card Board Derby in March is a lot of fun and draws a crowd of spectators of all ages.

Growing up we skied Gore with three other families. The size of Gore gave our parents the comfort in knowing it was hard to get lost (especially for those of us who know the mountain) and we were able to ski well after they had called it quits for the day.

It's true that the nightlife is lacking for the singles and those that love to go out. My friends and I view our time in the beautiful Adirondack Mountains as an opportunity to enjoy each other's company. We play board games, watch movies, make meals and enjoy adult beverages. It's a great time to reconnect and build better relationships with friends and family.