Fantastic Mountain For Family Skiing On Varied Terrain

by: Apache - Jan 9, 2011

Pros: Friendly Staff, Well Groomed Trails, Nice & Varied Terrain

Cons: No high-speed lift

Date Visited: Jan 1, 2011

Having taken up skiing last year (being taught my my sister- & brother-in-law, both accomplished skiers, in Colorado), we bought season passes at Catamount - sight unseen - based upon: 1) the relatively low cost (bought in March 2010 for the 2010/2011 season and saved hundreds!); and 2) on-line reviews in which almost every reviewer praised the resort and its people. After visiting three times (the last with friends who usually ski only in Utah, but who had a great time with us at Catamount!), I can safely say that this mountain deserves every word of praise! While not huge, the 1000' vertical drop is certainly respectable. The distribution of skill levels between beginner, intermediate & expert trails is quite good, especially for families with kids younger than ten. Four lifts adequately service the mountain, even if none is high-speed. But the highlight of skiing Catamount is, by far, the great people who work there. We have never had a single one of them be short with us in any way, or do anything other than be so helpful that, at any other mountain to which we've been, they would be considered to be going far out of their way to help us. For example, we were invited to go up in September/October to pick up our season passes, play on the zip lines for 1/2 price, and buy ski equipment (boots, skis & poles) for $105.00 total. My wife and I already had equipment, but jumped at the chance to buy so inexpensively for our child. By the third to fourth week of the season, he'd bent a pole and outgrown the boots. The shop at Catamount up-sized him to bigger boots and replaced the pole at no cost, with smiles on their faces as they did so. The same day, we'd forgotten our season passes. The office staff printed out comp tickets for us in minutes, also while being totally friendly and accommodating. Bottom line, while the 2.5 hour drive each way from/to NYC is a bit of a killer, the overwhelmingly positive experience we've had at Catamount will keep us going back all of this season and, no doubt, for many seasons to come.