by: davemess - 2nd March 2009

Steeps, terrain, quiet, no crowds, old-school
icy, no snow, people won't share lifts

I had been planning a trip to Taos for over a year, and finally got to go. We were really excited, but unfortunately the snow let us down. They have not gotten any new snow there in over two weeks. This resulted in icey, not very fun runs. With some new snow this would easily be one of the best resorts in the country. But you should wait until they have new snow to go. With the shadows and winds in the afternoon the trails still didn't soften up. EVERYTHING there is skiied out. On the plus side. The terrain would be amazing with some new snow. The best run we had in two days was the hike to Kachina peak. Well worth the hour trek, it is not as extreme as they say. I made it down just fine and would classify myself as an intermeddiate/advanced skiier. The hike to terrain is great though, so don't miss it. The resort has a very laid back, small town attitude, and there are no lift lines. It was very different from places like Winter Park or Brekenridge that I have been. Also nice to drive down and up with no traffic (screw you I-70!) We will definitely go again. Just have to make sure there is some snow.