Taos Ski Valley Review

by: anonymous_user - Nov 27, 2006

Date Visited: Nov 27, 2006

Taos is absolutely the best. It effortlessly combines very polite and courteous service, an excellent ski school including group and private lessons, and is an intriguing mix of European charm and Southwest flavor. It is enchanting for a true skier. I learned how to ski there when I was a child in their famous Kinderkafig Ski School. The instructors were brilliant at teaching me the "pizza slice and French fry" positions, the service was tremendous for my parents, who were able to ski to their hearts content knowing I was in a good place having fun and learning solid skiing techniques. As an adult, I continue to return there year after year because it is classic. It is one of the few ski areas still in private hands--owned fully by the Blake family and they are obviously committed to retaining its integrity. I think my favorite thing about this enchanting area is their passion and dedication to skiing. To them, it is not about the fashion plates or movie stars (though the come too!); it is all about the skiing. The focus is on how to make you a better skier—to challenge and improve your skiing, which my family thoroughly enjoys. Taos is far from pretentious Vail, or trendy Tahoe. And I really appreciate not having to share the slopes with snow boarders!! It attracts me to Taos rather than deters me. If I am going to lay down the kind of money a ski ticket costs these days, then I want to be impressed with the skiing and Taos DELIVERS. The snow is as dry and crisp as any you'll find in the Rockies, the terrain is more challenging than most places and the people could not be more friendly or passionate about skiing. All in all this is a place I will continue to return to faithfully.