Taos Ski Valley Review

by: College - Nov 13, 2006

Date Visited: Nov 13, 2006

We went out to the Taos/Angel Fire area in late March, 2006. We booked our vacation months in advance, not realizing that there was a very real possibility of no snow. Well, less than a week before we left, Taos received 4 feet of snow. While not every run was open, I would say at least 90% of the runs were skiable. More importantly, the ridges and shoots were open for the advanced skiers. We skied at Taos for 3 full days and the terrain never got boring. Contrary to its reputation, I found the blues and many of the blacks to be very skiable and not very difficult (I would consider myself an intermediate skier and by no means an expert). But, for the advanced skiers, you'll love the ridges and shoots - unbelievable. In all, TSV is absolutely a great place to go for a long weekend, but might not be the best place to go for an entire week. The other resorts around TSV aren't that great and they really are, at a minimum, an hour away from TSV. My recommendation is to spend a Friday to Sunday there and book it as a last minute trip - after you know that there will be snow. One other thing - no lift lines ever (but this could have been due to the fact that people canceled their vacations or decided not to go because of the lack of snow). I loved TSV and will definitely go back - but I won't book a place to stay in October next time.