Great grooming

by: tjack549 - Mar 15, 2012

Pros: Friendly staff, well-groomed runs

Cons: slushy

Date Visited: Mar 1, 2012

Ski Santa Fe is a great resort overall. We have been there repeatedly due to their great service and friendly attitudes. We used their ski school in 2010 for our 9 year old to learn to snowboard. Two days of lessons had him boarding with confidence. This year we returned and he kept up with the rest of us without further lessons.

March 13 & 14, 2012: after receiving 7 inches of snow a few days before, the skiing was very good but not great. The resort does a great job of grooming the runs. The groomed runs are very good skiing all day. Other trails were generally frozen for most of the morning hours. Several large and flatter runs (Sunnyside, Santa Fe Trail) got slushy in the afternoon. Camp robber, a run on the far NE side of the trails, was getting bare and I'm sure will be closed before too much longer if no new snow is received. Other runs on the East half of the mountain (Lower Burro, Alpine, Lobo, under Lift 7) are starting to show brown through the snow.

This was spring break, but the lines were not bad at all. We never waited more than 2 minutes to get on a lift. We stayed on Lifts 1, 2, 3, and 7 though. The other two are "bunny" type lifts and there was more of a line.

My only complaint this year was lift operation. They slowed the lifts a little more than usual and stopped lifts way too often. Over two days I estimate we were stopped on lifts 8 times. I don't like that and don't see much reason for it.

Can't speak to the nightlife as we were on a "family" trip. Santa Fe has a full gambit of restaurants though from the usual chains to great local fair. I highly recommend Maria's for "New Mexican style Mexican food".